Welcome Baby Addison!


This is the latest post on record. But I have to get back into the swing of blogging about our child so none of you miss out on anything, so lets give this a try.

On October 13, 2016 (yes almost 3 months ago) we welcomed our beautiful little girl Addison Diane Elizabeth Hutchings into the world. She weighted in at 5 lbs 7 oz and 19 3/4 inches long! If you’ve been following for a while, you’ll notice she was 3 whole weeks early. I guess Addie just couldn’t wait to get here and be with her momma’s!

So here is the birth story, both abridged and not abridged, for maximum enjoyment:

On Yom Kippur (10/12), Holly and I were enjoying one of my rare days off from work as it was an unassigned day. We were taking care of some last-ish minute stuff for baby, including getting some stuff from Buy Buy Baby and then planning to head to Old Navy to use one of the gift cards we’d gotten from the baby showers (thanks again Marianne and Shawna!) Throughout our shopping at Buy Buy Baby, Holly had been complaining of potential contractions, but as they weren’t regular in any way, neither of us thought any more of them than just Braxton Hicks contractions. We went along our day, had lunch and went home because I still had to go to class that afternoon. As a precaution, I made sure to clean out the Subaru and install the infant car seat, ‘just in case’ I told myself and Holly.

At one point, the contractions had a little of regularity, every 30 minutes or so, so I called our doula Lynette to let her know. She was at another birth, because we weren’t supposed to go even close to labor for at least another two weeks, and told me she would let her backup know, and we were fine with that, because neither of us thought this was the real thing. Yet.

I went to class and Holly took a nap and the contractions seemed to taper off while she slept, coming back with no regularity after she woke up and by the time I got home from class, the fact that the baby could come was the furthest thing from our minds. We sat down to dinner that night, delicious meatloaf and mashed potatoes made by my mom, and talked about the day but had obviously decided these were false alarms.

During dinner, after getting her second helping of meatloaf (because its so delicious), Holly suddenly stopped, said she had to go to the bathroom, and jetted down the hall. Assuming it was just a sudden need to pee, I went back to my meal until I got a text from her saying “Come please”. Worried, I headed down the hall. I’ll spare you the details of this part, but Holly was pretty sure she’d lost her mucus plug and had me sent a pic to the doula to confirm, after which the doula said “yes that’s probably it” but that labor was probably still a long way off and to just keep her posted.


Contractions started within 20 minutes. Hard. Fast. Scary. It was like all of the sudden, baby was done with that uterus and was coming out, now. I remember Holly timing her contractions and it started at 5 minutes apart for two of them, and then one was 4, and then all the rest were 3. Now if you’ve been through a child birthing class, or know anything about child birth, you know that hospitals have you wait until you’re 3-1-1 with contractions. 3 minute apart, lasting for a minute, for at least an hour. The fact that we got to the 3 minutes apart part within 20 minutes scared the crap out of me. I called the doula back, told her that we were having contractions, and they were super close, and she put me in touch with another doula, because she wasn’t going to be able to be there as she was at another birth. Thank god we had interviewed this doula during our search process and were familiar with her!

Sarah, our new doula, called immediately and and asked what we wanted to do. Holly, from the shower, yelled “I want to go to the hospital!” and Sarah agreed that was probably a good decision, so I began packing up everything to get it ready for the hospital. Now prior to this, Holly’s two best friends Corey and Christy had been preparing to be “birth support” for her during this process. Earlier in the night she had texted them telling them, “if you want to be here for it, you’d better come now”. Thankfully Christy showed up just as we were about to leave for the hospital and was able to throw our stuff into the car while I supported Holly through the contractions until we were actually ready to go. With a wave to my parents and a promise to keep them updated, we were out the door and on the way to the hospital.

This is were things get faster. On the way to the hospital, I call Labor and Delivery and let them know we’re on the way and text my boss to let him know I probably won’t be at work tomorrow. We get there, Corey shows up in time to help us with getting our stuff up to L&D, and I throw Holly in the wheely chair and we fly through emergency and up the elevator. I’m trying not to be too anxious, but failing terribly I’m sure. When we get up there, they send us into a triage room to assess Holly and where she’s at. Sarah the doula arrives a few seconds later and immediately flys into helping Holly through the contractions while I let her try to break my hand as each one comes, still about 2-3 minutes apart and roughly 3 cm dilated.

They monitor her for a little bit, but baby is moving around a lot, and decide to put us in a labor room asap. In the labor room, things felt a little bit slower, but mind you we’re at just over the two hour mark from start of labor to present at this point. They put Holly and baby on the monitor and told Holly if she wanted to do things like get up and move around or get in the big shower, they’d have to get 20 minutes of continuous monitoring from the baby. Unfortunately, this would never happen. Baby girl was squirmy the whole time and eventually Holly opted to get an epidural. When she got the epidural, at about 3 hours in, she was 7 cm dilated, and within 45 minutes she felt her water bag starting to come out. After the nurse had to rupture it, because it wouldn’t pop on its own, and she told Holly to give a little push, assuming she had had an epidural, so she wouldn’t be able to push too hard. Well one little push turned into two, and suddenly the baby’s head was RIGHT THERE.

I remember her looking down casually, then putting her hand on the head and shouting that they need a doctor in there right away. Everything after that happened really quickly. People flooded the room, trying to get a monitor on the baby and make sure she wasn’t in distress. The nurse that had been with us from the beginning was still holding the head when the doctor comes in, tells Holly to give a few more good pushes and our little princess appeared! She had a short umbilical chord, so I had to cut it before they could put her on Holly’s chest. But she was perfect.

Butt chin, hair, nose and all, she was the cutest little martian baby I’ve ever seen. We fell in love instantly.

So it might be 3 months late, but there you have it, the story of how Addison Hutchings came into the world.

Up next: A whole update of everything SINCE her birth to now, so I can just be caught up already.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s